Come with a purpose, leave with a plan
What is SMART Recovery?
SMART (Self Management and Recovery Training) Recovery is a free group program assisting any problematic behaviours, including addiction to drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, food, shopping, Internet and others.
Guided by trained peers and professionals, participants come to help themselves and help each other using a variety of cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and motivational tools and techniques.
What to expect
- Weekly meetings
- 90 minute duration
- Run by trained facilitator
- Focus is on the addictive behaviour and not on the substance itself
- Goal setting: Set your own achievable plan for the week ahead
- Concentrate on present and future, not on the past (no life stories!)
- Evidence-based tools and techniques (cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), Motivational Interviewing)
- One person talking at a time
- Non judgmental
- No ‘drug talk’
- Mobile phones off
- No intoxication
- Remain in room for the duration of the meeting
- No children allowed
- Check-in (how has your previous week been?)
- Discussion (using CBT tools & techniques)
- Sharing solutions (mutual aid)
- Checkout (plan for next seven days)
4 Point program
- Enhancing and maintaining motivation
- Coping with urges
- Problem solving
- Lifestyle balance
Some of the tools and techniques to help you manage addictive behaviours include
- Pros and cons of problematic behaviour
- Triggers, beliefs and consequences
- Craving and urges
- Goal setting
- Areas of Importance
How to become a meeting facilitator
SMART Recovery Australia provides professional training courses for peers and professionals wanting to become SMART Recovery facilitators and start new groups in the community or their organisation.
Peers who want to become facilitators need to demonstrate their addictive behaviour is under control for minimum of 9 months (endorsed by their facilitator or health practitioner). After co-facilitating for a minimum of three months, the peer will need to do the SMART Recovery facilitator training.