SMART Recovery teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance.
- SMART Recovery does not use the disease model.
- Teaches practical tools and techniques for self-directed change.
- Encourages individuals to recover and live healthy satisfying lives.
- Meetings include open and interactive discussions and can be educational.
- Works on addictions/compulsions/dependence as complex maladaptive behaviours.
- Advocates the appropriate use of prescribed medications and psychological treatments, such as anti-depressants, Methadone, Buprenorphine.